Seila Fernández Arconada
2016- Exhibiting artist at Imagined Landscapes exhibition in the Royal West of England Academy (UK).
- Workshop leader ”Drawing connections: public engagement and art in the social realm” at the University of the West of England (UK).
2015- Invited artist at AGU Fall Meeting in San Francisco (USA) December.
-Participant artist at “Paisaje Moravia” directed by Guim Camps at Centro Cultural Moravia in Bogotá(Colombia).
- Invited artist at CasaPausa in Lima (Peru)
-The Land of the Summer People exhibition in March 2015, Exeter(UK).
-Event presentation of the Some:when project in Langport (UK), March 2015. A collavorative project with the artist Jethro Brice www.some-when.co.uk.
-Transnational Dialogues China, exhibition in Berlín (Alemania) and Milán (Italia).
- Workshop leader ”Drawing connections: public engagement and art in the social realm” run in collaboration with the artist Jethro Brice at the University of the West of England (UK).
- 2014-ongoing: -The Land of the Summer People is an art collaboration-research led by Seila Fernández Arconada in collaboration with the Water Engineering Research, group at the University of Bristol lead by Pr. Thorsten Wagener. It explores the unstable relationship between human-beings, water and place by exploring flood impact in Somerset. www.thelandofthesummerpeople.org.
-2014:- Unconscious Power, the act of collective creativity exhibition in Chongqing (China)
- Sculpting power workshop in Chongqing (China)
- Remain Present, the act of collective creativity in Hutong workshop (Beijing, China)
- Methods, the act of collective creativity workshop. Xining (China)
- Selected artist in residence at Organhaus, Chongqing (China)
- Selected artist in the Transnational Dialogues programme, a European Alternatives multidisciplinary project taking place in China in May and June 2014, in which I will develop a research about innovative social practices and collaborations, and create a new body of art work based on that “Unconscious power, the act of collective creativity”.
- Selected artist for Here, Now, Where? A sound art participatory project by Saout Radio part of Marrakech Biennial.
- Selected paper: "Riding the Tide, socially engaged art and resilience in an uncertain future" at Resilience Just Do it? conference at the University of Groningen (Netherlands). A collaborative paper with the artist Jethro Brice.
-Selected paper: "Riding the Tide, socially engaged art and resilience in an uncertain future" at On Earth conference in Plymouth (UK).
- “Living habitats” workshop leader run with the artist Sarah Edwards as part of Litterarty project.
- “Fluid Tense” Workshop leader in collaboration with Jethro Brice, as part of High Water Line a community art project lead by the artist Eve Mosher.
- “La creación colectiva como método de acción” workshop leader at the University of the Basque Country.
2013: - Secret Whispers video installation selected by FocoNorte to be part of Xchange at Deptford X Contemporary Arts Festival. London, UK.
- Coroners Court, Public Entrance (2013) is a residency-group show where artists responded site-specifically regarding the history of the building and how this echoes the current political situation: I co-ordinated this show in which I was also a participant artist.
- Echoes within 7, collaboration project with the artist Simon Ledson. A project made between Thailand and UK, exhibition in Bristol, UK and presented in BV Open Studios in Bristol.
- Art director and curator at Be.in.Art as part of Be.In.Bristol restaurant and bar venue. Bristol, UK. Temporary exhibitions programme and art events.
- Assistant producer and designer for the performance Pamplona, 7 Julio 2008. Pamplona, Spain. A street contemporary art performance directed by Sandra Arróniz, Pamplona, Spain.
- Workshop leader at Creative processes and art collaboration workshop run in San Felices de Buelna, Cantabria (Spain).
- Workshop leader of Seeds of Change, art project by Arnolfini Museum and University of Bristol. UK.
2012: – Selected for Skylab’12 shortfilm festival, Torrelavega, Spain.
- Selected for the finalist’s exhibition of the RGB Awards at the Grand Bradley Gallery, Bristol.
- Expanded time, exhibition at The Shop gallery, Bristol.
- Cement Garden by TactileBOSH Gallery and Studios in Cardiff, Wales.
- Unseen reflections at The Island Gallery, Bristol.
- Secret whispers at The Island selected as part of the I Bristol Biennial.
- MA Final Show at BV Studios, June 2012. Bristol (UK).
2011: - Hidden pictures exhibition at Sala de exposiciones de Tarriba, Spain. (solo show)
- MA & other Post Graduates exhibition at the Atkinson Gallery, Somerset, UK
- Wendy house project in Cheptow, Wales.
- Beyond the lens at the Incident Room Gallery, Bristol.
- Ladies and Gentlemen, MA exhibition at the Old Victorian lavatories supported by Capacity Bristol.
2010:- Hidden pictures selected as part of the Bristol Festival of Photography, Bristol, UK.
2009: - Polientesphoto exhibition in Santander, Spain.
- BBVA audiovisual exhibition in Bilbao, Spain.
2008: - Exhibition in the 47XYY 1th Show of Hormone Art Show , Bilbao, Spain.
- Interack 2008 exhibition in Leioa Spain.
- Shortfilm selection at the International Short Film Festival of Bilbao, Zinebi 08, Bilbao, Spain.
- BBVA audiovisual exhibition, Bilbao, Spain.
- Shortfilm selection at Cabezón de la Sal Short-films Festival in Cantabria, Spain.
2007: - Art Eder Exhibition in the Gallery Sanz Enea, Zarautz (Guipúzcoa, Spain)
- Getxo Art, Art show in Getxo (Vizcaya, Spain)
- Klem Kuraia Festival in Leioa (Vizcaya, Spain).
2006: – Collaborative project between University of Fine Arts in the Basque Country and University of Fine Arts in Ravenna, Italy. The tradition of the new, Bilbao-Ravenna.
Education and training
2010-2012 MA Fine Art at the University of the West of England, Bristol. Successfully completed with Distinction.
2009 Academic semester abroad (Erasmus program) studying BA(Hons) Photography at the School of Creative Arts, University of West of England, Bristol, United Kingdom. Successfully completed with a First Class qualification.
2007-2009 Masters Degree in Fine Arts, specialising in media practice, photography and new technologies in Art at the University of the Basque Country, Leioa, Spain. Successfully completed with Distinction.
2004-2007 BA in Fine Arts, University of the Basque Country, Leioa, Spain. Succesfully completed with First Class.
2002-2004 Secondary education of Social Sciences at Javier Orbe Cano. Secondary School in Los Corrales de Buelna, Cantabria, Spain.
Grants and achievements:
- 2014: Granted with the Artist' International Fund by the British Council and Arts Council of England.
- 2014: Selected in Transnational Dialogues in China and granted by European Alternatives. Transnational Dialogues is an open and on-going cross-media platform managing and imagining artistic and cultural projects with a focus on the new geographies of globalisation and the emergence of a multi-polar artistic and intellectual world.Caravan. http://www.transnationaldialogues.eu/
- Granted with Bancaja Leonardo Adeit Grant. 2009-2010
-Selected in the Erasmus program to study during one semester the BA(Hons) Photography course at University of West of England in Bristol, United Kingdom, 2009.
-Selected grant for university studies by Botín Foundation during 2007-08.
For more information: